ALAS is an association which will endeavour to bring together all Latin
Americans and all those in Swansea and surrounding areas who are interested
in Latin American affairs. The main mission of the group is to provide mutual
support and to raise awareness of Latin America's cultural richness.
- To meet informally to develop friendships and provide each other with
- To meet periodically as a group and share cultural activities
- To provide the opportunity to practise Spanish and Portuguese in both formal
meetings and informal gatherings
- To organise cultural events, for example:
- A Music workshop with a professional group from the Andes
- A Salsa party with a Latin American Band
- A Tango Workshop with professional dancers
- A Poetry Recital with a Latin American Poet working in the UK
- A Latin American Film Festival
- To support other Latin American Events in the area
- Cardiff Latino Film Festival with Latin American filmmakers working in the UK (Sept - Oct, 2003, 2004 and 2005)
- Samba Tawe Summer Carnival (Mid-August every year)
- Latin Night - Every month in the Monkey Café
- Latin American Films in Swansea University's Taliesin and The Dylan
Thomas Centre & Theatre
ALAS was founded on 1st February 2003. 15 people attended the founding meeting. Since then ALAS has grown to a membership of 70. Events are organised on a monthly basis.
ALAS's constitution is available to download here.